To become eligible to referee high school soccer for schools affiliated to the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA), you must complete the following requirements checklist:
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time of application
- Join an officials association
- Register with the FHSAA
- Pass a criminal background check
- Attend an NFSOA clinic (virtual or in-person; we will email you details)
- Pass an FHSAA-administered online exam
- Purchase your uniform and gear
What are the expenses?
Recommended But Not Required
Previous soccer officiating experience is not strictly required, but is strongly recommended. If you have no experience, we can assign you to middle school games to build your experience.
While we do not have a physical fitness requirement, officiating high school soccer requires good fitness levels. Officials in high school soccer typically run/walk between 2 and 5 miles per game. Assignments typically involve a double-header of a junior varsity game followed by a varsity game. Occasionally, assignments are for a varsity double-header (girls varsity and boys varsity).