The Jessica Lunsford Act is the name given to a 2005 Florida law designed to punish sex offenders and reduce their ability to re-offend. The Act requires you to pass a background check via fingerprint submission before you can work as a referee. Your cost for the background check is $85.25, which you will pay online directly to the background check provider.
Officials are independent contractors and require a level 2 background check. This checks a person’s background via state and national databases to ascertain whether the individual has been convicted of a crime and, if so, the nature of the crime. You are required to submit to the school district a set of fingerprints taken by an authorized agent.
If you are interested in the relevant Florida Statutes, you can review 1012.467 and 1012.468 by clicking here
Background Check Steps
Renewing your badge: If you are an existing member who needs to renew their badge, follow the same steps as a new referee. You repeat the same process you followed five years ago.
The steps outlined below are for obtaining your background check badge through Duval County Public Schools. Your badge is valid for use in any Florida school. While you can obtain your badge through any county, NFSOA has established a clear process with DCPS. If you choose to obtain your badge through another county, you’ll be on your own to navigate the process and we won’t be able to assist you.
- Register on the Fieldprint website to have your fingerprints taken (The steps are detailed below).
- Go to your appointment and have your fingerprints taken.
- Email a completed form W-9 to Duval County Public Schools.
- Duval County Public Schools reviews the results of your background check.
- If your background check is approved, a “badge” is created for you at Duval County Public School. The background check badge should not be confused with a referee badge/patch.
- Pick up your completed background check badge.
Register to Have Your Fingerprints Taken
Access the Fieldprint website: https://florida.fieldprint.com
If you need help with the Fieldprint website, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-877-614-4364.
- If you are a New User, enter your Email and click “Sign Up”. Follow the directions to establish your password, security questions, and contact information. If you are an Existing User, Sign In using your existing email address and password.
3. Choose “I know my Fieldprint Code”.
- Choose your code carefully! Fieldprint does not give refunds because you chose the wrong code. Review the codes below and choose the one that applies to you. The vast majority of new referees will use the code in the first row.
|New Florida High School Referee||Or a current referee with an expired or soon-to-expire background check badge||FPDCPSV|
|Badge Only||Fingerprinted by fieldprint Duval County but lost your badge or need a replacement badge||FPDCPSVB|
|FSSR Badge Only||You were fingerprinted by a company other than Fieldprint or you need to replace your FSSR badge that HAS NOT expired||FPDCPSVFSSRBadge|
|Registration Code Only||You were fingerprinted and already have a statewide badge but need to register in Duval County||FPDCPSVFSSR|
5. Enter your Personal Information.
***IMPORTANT: Please enter you legal name and ensure your birthdate and Social Security number are entered correctly.
- Enter your Demographics and Additional Information
- Enter your Employer Information. For Company Name, enter North Florida Soccer Officials Association. Enter your home address in the address field.
- Schedule your Visit. Enter your home or other address to find the nearest fingerprint capture location. Some of the authorized fingerprinting sites are also medical lab testing companies. Be advised that you may be in a waiting room with people who are scheduled for lab tests and plan accordingly.
- Payment Information. The fee is $85.25 and can be paid by credit/debit card or electronic check only. (No money orders)
- Confirmation Page – You will receive a confirmation page when the transaction is complete. Be sure to print it.
Go To Your Appointment and Have Your Fingerprints Taken
Please print and bring the confirmation page with you to your scheduled fingerprint appointment. Make note of the two forms of identification required to be presented when you are fingerprinted.
Some of the authorized fingerprinting sites are also medical lab testing companies. Be advised that you may be in a waiting room with people who are waiting for lab tests and plan accordingly. These locations are very busy and may not honor your appointment time if you are late.
The technician will verify your identity through the two forms of identification and then will collect your fingerprints using a digital scanner. They will also take your photograph for your badge.
Submit your W-9 Form to Duval County Public Schools
A completed W-9 form is required to process your badge.
The completed W-9 form can be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to: 904-858-6122. Be sure to state that you are a new NFSOA soccer referee in your email or fax.
NOTE: Entry errors made during your registration process cannot be corrected once your fingerprints are captured. Any errors made in your entries must be corrected through the modification process BEFORE you are fingerprinted. If errors are discovered after the prints are captured/submitted, it is your responsibility to register again and to reprint at your expense.
Pick Up Your Badge
You will be contacted by Duval County Public Schools when your badge is complete and ready for pick up.
Keep your badge in your gear bag so that you can produce it if a school asks for it.